Just returned from a short week at the National Cherry Festival in Traverse City, Michigan. The whole family joined in, and I mean the whole family. It was me, the hubby, the kids, the parents, and the in-laws. We even threw in the mother-in-law of the mother-in-law (seriously I should draw a diagram). We had a great vacation and I thought you would be riveted by a quick recap.
- We ate really good, really bad fair/festival food: You know what I am talking about. Food that tastes fabulous, but that you regret shortly after eating it. I am pretty sure I am 5-10 pounds heavier than when I left. I am ready to go on a diet of just water and veggies for a month. I did get to experience a cherry burger which is a hamburger made mostly from cherries so it cuts the fat and calories substantially and still tastes like a burger. Is it possible that cancelled the effects of all the rest of the food?
- We went cherry picking: We somehow managed to pick $90 worth of cherries between 5 of us picking. That doesn’t even count the $10 worth that we ate right of the tree. I am pretty sure my dad never put a cherry in the bucket (unless you consider his mouth a bucket). This was so much fun, but now I have to figure out what to do with all these cherries. We have been eating a fair amount of them, but that has been causing some gastro-intestinal issues (I swear we will be a poop free blog next week) so I feel like I need to bake something.
- We rode rides: By we, I mean everyone but me. I am not a ride person (especially after gorging on festival food). I think my hubby might have had children just so he had someone to go on rides with. Lily had no fear and went on every ride she was tall enough to go on. Many of them more than once. On the very last day of vacation, I decided I would join in the fun and went go-cart racing. They had cars with 2 seats so I took Lily with me. Listening to her giggle while we rounded the curves may have been the highlight of the trip.
- We enjoyed the beach: The hubby kayaked, Lily built sand castles, Hannah chased after ducks, I sat my butt in a chair and took it all in.
- Got to experience some cool moments with the kids: Hannah is officially walking, Lily went on a kiddie bungee jump, taking an uninterrupted 2 hour nap…oh wait that was my fabulous vacation moments without any kids!!
A great vacation was had by all. It was so fun packed I really can’t list it all. The best part was watching my kids have such a ball. I was so impressed with Lily’s adventuresome spirit and Hannah is at the stage where she is doing something new daily. Sometimes you need to get away from home just to appreciate how wonderful your family truly is.